Saturday, April 18, 2009

Statement of purpose.

Hello, interpeople. I'm Thom. I'm guessing, for now anyway, that if you are here, you already know me. If not, I have no idea how you got here, but I hope you'll stay. I'm not going to tell you a lot about myself, but because I tend to have a strong and easily-identifiable voice in my writing, you will likely get to know me as I write (and as you read, naturally). I also write at We Recommend Things to You along with my better half, but this blog is more of a solo vehicle for my writing.

This is not going to be just another music blog. Yes, the focus of this blog will most definitely be on music. I will be reviewing new releases and concerts. I will try to offer some news, perhaps. I will write reconsiderations and appreciations of older releases that I feel are overlooked or that I simply feel is ripe for another look. I will likely also write longer think pieces from time to time on various issues affecting either the music industry or listenership. I hope to be able to offer some unique perspectives on things and to strike up some thoughtful discussion.

However, this will not be the extent of my writing. Because music is only one part of my worldview, I plan on also writing about art, film, literature, current events, cultural commentary, and perhaps even politics. My eventual goal is to present my worldview and hopefully to get some feedback on how it differs from or resembles yours. I want to foster some real communication and interaction here. I want to sow how everything interacts with everything else, how it is all just so many pieces in a puzzle that makes up the world. Although the pieces have their flaws, they still somehow make a whole.

While this is perhaps a little lofty and ambitious for something which looks on the surface like just another music blog, I hope you will call me on my bluff here and join me on this journey. It won't be half as much fun without you.


 This post was composed to the tune of the CelebraciĆ³n de la Ciudad Natal live EP by My Morning Jacket. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Thom! Thanks for listing me on your blogroll. I listed both your sites on mine. I've also updated my site so it doesn't just say "journal". It's now "not this website" which makes sense since it's the name of the site.

A.D. said...

Hi Thom. Thank you so much for the comment on my blog. You don't know how much I appreciate it.

I will definitely give you photo credit right away. Typically I would take my own photographs at a concert but I was afraid of the no camera policy and didn't want to be turned away at the door. Of course my pictures wouldn't have been nearly as beautiful as yours. I'm lucky to have found them. I didn't even think to give credit because I automatically assume no one reads my blog. I'm happy to be at least a little wrong about that.

This is a long shot but I was standing in the second row center at the concert and next to me was a person with a great camera that came a little later and asked to stand there to take pictures. Was that you?